Don't Let The Tampa Ants Take Over Your Property
October 20, 2022 - Ants
We see pests like ants everywhere. When working in the yard, we observe them walking around the grass, on plants, and on the driveway. If it is a nice day, and we want to connect to nature by laying down in the grass to watch the puffy white clouds sail across the sky, we expect a few ants will crawl on us. It is one thing to have ants in our yard, but it is quite another issue when they are in our house!
If you see a string of ants marching across your kitchen floor or a few ants running over your office desk, you need the professional Tampa pest control team from EcoSmart Pest Solutions. With over 25 years of experience in the pest control industry, we know how to eliminate ants from your Tampa home.
The Importance Of Regular Ant Control Treatments
By the time you see ants in your house, you need ant pest control for these reasons:
- Large colonies: Ants create large nests near food sources. For example, colonies can range from 3,000 workers for red carpenter ants to 500,000 workers for imported red fire ants.
- Multiple nests: Ants in Tampa create new nests by swarming and budding. Nest creation occurs when swarms of winged male and female ants (alates) fly from the colony to build a new nest or when a group of worker ants escorts a pregnant queen ant to a new location (budding).
- Entry points: The presence of ants in the house means they have discovered ways to get inside. Ants can enter the home through cracks and gaps in the foundation, under windows and doors, and by walking over tree branches and shrubs that touch the house.
- Food sources: When ants find food in a house, they leave a pheromone trail to lead other ants to the food source. Crumbs, pet food, fruit, and open trash cans are food sources for ants.
- Suitable environment: Ants stay in houses where food, water, and shelter are available. When these are present, ants build colonies and begin reproducing.
- Food contamination: As ants crawl over trash, dead animals, and rotten vegetation, they pick up bacteria and viruses on their body. Later, when they travel over food products in the house, the pathogens fall off onto exposed food.
- Prevent damage: Crawlspaces and basements sometimes contain damp, fungus-ridden wood that attracts carpenter ants. These ants create nests by boring through the softened wood causing structural damage.
These are a few reasons for ant control in your house. Failing to act quickly will result in an infestation due to a growing colony or new nests in the home.
Should I Kill Ants I See Around My Home?
There is nothing wrong with killing ants in your house, but there may be a few unintended consequences. For example, crushing odorous and ghost ants produce a rotten coconut odor.
Although killing ants gives a sense of satisfaction, it is not a permanent solution. When some ant species like ghosts ants feel threatened, they will create new nests in other locations through budding. These highly mobile ants are difficult to kill because they continuously build new nests. Unless you eliminate the new ant groups, you will continue to have an ant problem no matter how many ants you kill.
Is It Safe To Spray Store-Bought Ant Spray In My Home?
Do-it-yourself (DIY) pest control ant treatments are enticing because they appear less expensive than professional pest control; however, they can be dangerous around family members and pets. Because accidental exposure to the toxins in many DIY products can cause serious illness, the safest option is to use professional pest control experts.
While store-bought products kill ants on contact, you will continue to have the issue if they fail to eliminate the queen, eggs, and reproductives. Ants release a pheromone as they are dying that alerts other ants to investigate the problem, so killing ants with a DIY product may increase the ant population in your Tampa house.
Solving Nuisance Ant Problems In Tampa
The best pest control company for ants in Tampa is EcoSmart Pest Solutions. We will inspect your property and identify the ant species infesting your location. Next, we will create a custom strategy based on the ant's nesting habits and hot spots. To ensure the safety of family members and pets, we incorporate a specialized application process, using a low-impact product designed to protect the environment. Because we take your health seriously, our technicians are state-certified and participate in ongoing education. Contact us today and request your free estimate.