Rat Control Made Easy For Tampa Residents
August 30, 2022 - Rats
If you live in Tampa, you may have seen or heard about the increasing rat population. Rats are not only unsightly, but they can also be dangerous and destructive. EcoSmart Pest Solutions will cover some helpful facts about rats and how to get rid of them. We'll discuss where they like to hide, whether it's possible to humanely remove them, five effective ways to deter them, and how to get rid of rats for good with pest control in Tampa.
Where Do Rats Like To Hide?
Rats are nocturnal creatures, so they are most active at night. During the day, they like to hide in dark, secluded places. This can include attics, basements, crawl spaces, behind appliances, and cluttered storage areas. If you think you have rats in your home, it's important to inspect these areas for droppings, nesting materials, and chewed food packaging.
Check your yard for signs of rats as well. Rat burrows are small, round holes that are about two to four inches in diameter. You may also see runways, which are paths that rats use to travel between their burrows and hiding spots. These runways are usually about four inches wide and are free of vegetation. If you see any of these signs, you may have rats on your property.
Is It Possible To Have A Rat-Free Home Without Killing Them?
Yes, it is possible to have a rat-free home without resorting to lethal methods. Many people are opposed to killing rats because they are intelligent creatures that can feel pain and fear. A humane way to get rid of rats in your home is to trap them and release them into the wild at a distance from your home. This is a humane way to get rid of rats without resorting to poison.
There are also a few things you can do to keep rats from coming into your home in the first place. As we mentioned before, rats are attracted to food sources. To deter them, you need to remove their access to food. This means keeping your kitchen clean, storing food in airtight containers, and taking out the trash regularly.
Five Ways To Deter Rats
There are a few ways to get rid of rats by deterring them from entering your home in the first place.
Here are five of the most effective methods we recommend you try:
- Seal up entry points: Rats can squeeze through tiny spaces, so it's important to seal up any cracks or holes in your foundation, walls, and ceilings. You should also check for gaps around doors and windows and seal them with weatherstripping or caulk.
- Eliminate their hiding places: Rats like to hide in dark, secluded places. To deter them, you need to eliminate their hiding places. This means decluttering your storage areas, getting rid of piles of newspapers and magazines, and sealing up any cracks or holes where they could be hiding.
- Keep your yard clean: Make sure your yard is free of debris, including garbage cans, pet food, and birdseed. An untidy yard is an invitation for rats.
- Use a rat repellent: There are a few natural repellents that can deter rats, such as peppermint oil and cayenne pepper, which have smells rats hate. You can either use them to make your own rat repellent.
- Use metal screens on vents and chimneys: Rats can use these features to enter your home. To stop them, you need to use metal screens on all of your vents and chimneys.
By implementing these methods, you can keep rats from coming into your home and prevent an infestation.
Total Rat Control For Tampa Residents
Once you have removed the rats from your home, you'll want to take steps to prevent them from coming back. The best way to do this is to make your home as uninviting to rats as possible. Be sure to practice the deterring methods we mentioned and keep your home clean and free of clutter. You should also have your home inspected regularly for any new cracks or holes.
If you follow these tips, you should be able to keep rats out of your Tampa home. However, if you find that you are still having problems, it's best to call a professional pest control company like EcoSmart Pest Solutions. We have more than 25 years of experience dealing with rats and other pests in the area, and we do the job right the first time. We will be able to help you identify the source of the problem and get rid of the rats for good. Contact us today and get started on our effective home pest control and commercial pest control services.